I haven’t blogged in a while and have no excuse other than I’ve been too busy. It’s a bit like when you haven’t called somebody for a while and then the longer you leave it the harder it gets. Anyways, I’m back now with a stonker of a recipe.
For those of you who have followed Foodie Foodie Nom since its inception, you’ll know I unsuccessfully attempted to turn veggie at the start of this year. Basically, my brain rebelled. I told it we couldn’t have something so naturally it was ALL it thought about… so I caved and had a steak (or several). That’s not to say I don’t love veggie food and here’s one of my favourite recipes.
Vegetarian Lasagne & Stripey Tomato Salad
I have to tell you how excited I was when I came across these tomatoes in Waitrose. We had green ones, long thin orange ones, green and red stripey ones…Je suis tres excitement! Clearly I need to get out more……tomato picking!!!
Bunch of spring onions – finely chopped
Bunch of asparagus – finely chopped, reserving the spears
Small tin of anchovies (Omit if you want strictly veggie)
1 courgette (or Zucchini to you Americans) – chopped
4 cloves of garlic
100 g of frozen broad beans
150g pot of cottage cheese
150g of single cream
Good quality parmesan
1 ball of mozzarella (not the mini ones)
150 fresh lasagne sheets
1/2 a vegetable stock cube
Small bunch of thyme, basil and mint
A good selection of assorted, stripey looking tomatoes
1 red chilli
Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar
- First chop up your tomatoes in a rustic unplanned fashion and add to a large bowl
- Rip the top off the Basil and add it to a food processor with one clove of peeled garlic, a good glug of olive oil, a splash of white wine vinegar, the chilli and some salt/pepper. Once blitzed, taste and add more of anything you think it needs.
- Poor the green dressing all over your tomatoes and chill in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- With a pair of scissors chop up four or five of the anchovies and put them in a pan with the oil they were sat in. If you don’t eat fish just use one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Add the spring onions, courgette, asparagus (not spears) and three cloves of garlic to the pan and cook until soft
- Add the broad beans with a splash of hot water and stir now and again
- After a few minutes, add the cream, the mint and a good serving of salt and pepper to taste
- Stir half of the cottage cheese into the pan to warm through and add half a vegetable stock cube with just enough hot water to almost cover everything. Bring to the boil then turn the heat off
- Spoon a third of the mixture into a lasagne dish and sprinkle a good helping of parmesan over the top, followed by one layer of pasta. Repeat the process until you have used all of your yummy vegetable mix, finishing with the pasta.
- Pour hot water in the half-full cottage cheese pot and swill it around to take up all the cheese. Pour over the top of your pasta with the asparagus spears, ripped up bits of mozzarella and the leaves from a few sprigs of thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and serve with the tomato salad and a nice glass of chilled dry white wine.
- Baked in the oven for around 30 minutes and serve with the salad